Wednesday 28 November 2012

Chapter 15

"Do you know him, Dada?" Severus asked, clearly puzzled. He couldn't fathom the reason for the dazed look on his father's face.

"Yes," Tobias whispered, still stunned. "He's my Dada, Sev."

"Really?" Now it was Severus' turn to look surprised. "Why didn't you tell me about him earlier?"

"That's because we had a little misunderstanding," Mr Snape said, picking Severus up in his arms. "But I hope everything will be all right now."

Tobias was at a loss for words. Severus, however, clung on to his grandfather and looked beseechingly at his father as if to tell him to reconcile.

Mr Snape made the first move. Still clutching on to Severus, he approached Tobias and embraced him.

"I'm sorry, son," he said. "I shouldn't have cut you off from my life so completely. Can we start over again?"

Tobias held on to his father awkwardly while Severus pulled on to his collar.

"It wasn't you, Dad," he said. "Mom never liked Eileen and her family. She'd have never approved of our relationship. And Eileen was pregnant. I couldn't forsake her, Dad. Not at that time."

Mr Snape patted Tobias on his shoulder. "I'm proud of you, my son," he said. "I'm proud of the fact that you stood for the right thing."

Severus, sensing that the awkwardness had finally disappeared, hugged both the men.

~*~

"Mama, look who's here," Severus yelled, racing into the house. He crashed headlong into Eileen, sending a tray of cookies flying.

"Sev, look what you've done!" Eileen exclaimed. "Now you have to clean it all up. I'm not going to do it."

Not paying any heed to her admonishings, Severus pulled at her hand and dragged her along.

"Walk a little faster, Mama," he chirped as Eileen tried to keep pace with her son.

Presently, they came to a stop at the backyard where the two men were talking.

"Mr Snape," she whispered. "But what...?"

Her question was cut short by Severus.

"Grandpa, Mama's here!" he exclaimed happily. "Mama, Grandpa wants us to go and stay with him in his big house. He also said that he'll send me to the same school where Lily and Petunia go and he also said that he'll help me to become a big lawyer like him!"

While Severus' eyes gleamed in excitement, Eileen was suddenly apprehensive. How should she tell him now? And when?

No comments:

Post a Comment